Introduction to Design Technology at Plashet School

“Design is intelligence made visible.” – Alina Wheeler

This subject combines intelligence and practical ability to create real products to enhance the world in which we live.  When products are imagined, designed and then made it creates an enormous sense of satisfaction and leads to a sense of achievement.  Design and Technology is not about always giving the right answer it is more about asking the right questions.

Students learn how to overcome obstacles, how to plan systematically, develop their sense of judgement and extend their horizon, and produce artefacts that are a delight to them.  The skills they learn and develop are interchangeable.  They enhance and support the work in other subjects such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art.

Design and Technology is all about life, and making life better.  It is, quite literally the nuts and bolts of society.  If you eat, sleep, breath, wear clothing, use technology and do any activity you are engaging with Design and Technology.  You could be the next person to have a fantastic idea to improve the lives of millions – who would not want to be a part of that?


Curriculum Content

KS3

During Year 7, 8 and 9 pupils will study the different areas of Design and Technology by undertaking projects in Resistant Materials, Textiles and Food.  Each project is delivered by a specialist teacher and will last 12 – 19 weeks.  The KS3 course has making at its heart but also develops a wide range of creative, design and technical skills.  Students may work to a set design brief or theme, they may find solutions to problems they identify or they may complete short tasks to develop their thinking and making skills.

KS4

In Year 9, pupils decide which specialist area of Design & Technology they would like to take as their GCSE option. Pupils can opt to study one or two of the following areas:

  • Graphic Products
  • Home Economics
  • Resistant Materials
  • Textiles and Fashion

At Key Stage 4, pupils will all undertake a coursework project or projects in their chosen discipline.  This will account for 60% of their final mark, with the remaining 40% being awarded through a written exam.


Contact Information

Please contact the school on info@plashet.newham.sch.uk for further information.

Plashet School